Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Without limits: The New 52 #5


As I have been trying to live a more fit life, which means eating better and exercising more, I noticed that I'm very comfortable. I've noticed that I have a tendency not to push myself. I noticed that instead of forcing my muscles to push out the last rep or pull up the extra weight I'll just call it done a few reps early or leave that little bit of weight off the bar. Why run... when I can just walk my 5k? I'd like to say that it was just physical exercise that I was slacking off on but when I looked at my life I realized in just about every area I allowed myself to be comfortable. I positioned myself well behind the boundary of my abilities to keep my life easy. Maybe you can relate? When I thought about my life I realized that I haven't been pushing myself physically since high school and mentally since college. Sure there were moments of testing my metal, like Marriage: year one (yes that is a reference to comic books) or packing up everything I own and living out of a backpack for 3 months Czech, but in reality my life is comfortable. But I want that to end. No in fact that is ending. Just the other day I started to run during my nightly walks. I can't even remember the last time I ran for anything yet alone just because its different from walking. I'm going to start teaching Sunday school to teenagers which mean I best be bringing my "A" game. I mean you know teenagers in the morning. Maybe you feel the same. I think it is natural for us to desire comfort. It is a rare human being who pushes their limits continuously.What if Paul was hinting at this concept in 1 Cor 9:27 and in Romans 12:2. What if pushing our limits, pushing our humanity, is something God wants from us?

No comments: