Sunday, January 27, 2013

Imago Dei the New 52 #3

Sorry for the delay I got busy then I got sick and when I get sick I just stop caring about everything. So I guess this week I owe two post. So lets get this thing started.
Do you every think about what you are saying? Do you think about how you talk to our about people? I've noticed that we, as people, have become very at ease with speak our judgement about people. Judgements that are based solely on our personal opinions about people we don't even know. The evangelical world lit up this past weeks with the inauguration, the 40th anniversary of Roe v Wade and countless other things. I've heard sports media running off the rails about the personal struggles of a young man. I've slowly become sickened with state of how we relate to one another.
While I'm all for having and experiencing personal opinions, I think that before we share them we need to ask ourselves three questions.
  1. Does this need to be shared? You can ask me on my opinion on a great number odds are I have one but that doesn't mean that it is accurate, informed or necessary. The world doesn't need to know my opinion on Manti Te'o, it doesn't need to be shared. (Yes I did have to check on how to spell his name.)
  2.  Is my opinion informed? This has two parts a) is it rooted in fact b) is it rooted in a relationship. Its easy to lob shots from for away with out facts, with out knowledge, and with out a supporting relationship. I don't need to call into question the salvation or beliefs of the president because I have a twitter. I don't know the man and the evidence I do have actually speaks the opposite. When we share our uninformed opinions we are acting like lighting rods and talking heads stirring up controversy for our own gain.. Jesus was controversial because he said he was the son of God coming to take away the sins of the world not because he said Caesar was a jack-ass.
  3. How do I respect the Image of God? When we answer yes to the first two questions we are left with one last thought How can I share my opinion while honoring the image of God inside me and inside the other person. We can say how so and so is the worlds biggest idiot and dumbest liar or we can say Jimmy that wasn't the wises choice you could have made no was it really in line with what you have presented as the truth. When we speak not only are we speaking about others we are revealing things about ourselves to. Especially as a Christian, I represent Christ with my thought and deed, I best be sure to speak in truth and love not ignorance and disdain.
So what are you doing with your tongue?

No comments: